Pets Tail Us On Vacation Half The Time, Reveals TripAdvisor Survey
With 49 Percent of Pet-Owning U.S. Travelers Taking their Animals on the Road, TripAdvisor Announces America's Top 10 Pet-Friendly Properties
NEWTON, Mass., Aug. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- TripAdvisor®, the world's largest travel site*, today announced the results of its pet travel survey of more than 1,000 U.S. animal-owners, together with the Top 10 properties in the U.S. that allow pets, according to the TripAdvisor Popularity Index. Forty-nine percent of the pet-owners surveyed plan to travel with their pets in the next 12 months. Among that group, 56 percent will stay in hotels with them – up from 51 percent who have done so in the last year, while 35 percent plan to stay in a vacation rental, up from 24 percent.
"Our survey shows that TripAdvisor travelers love the companionship of their pets while on vacation as 57 percent indicated it's their top reason for taking them along for the ride," said Brooke Ferencsik, director of communications at TripAdvisor. "Nearly three-quarters of respondents who vacation with their pets noted that they're typically able to find animal-friendly accommodations when traveling, which is good news for all the Lassies and Luckys out there!"
Pet Paraphernalia: Creature Comforts on the Road Among those who travel with their pets, 45 percent carry a dedicated piece of luggage containing their pets' every need.
Rest and play: 73 percent pack pet bedding, while 79 percent tote toys.
Pets' paperwork: 45 percent travel with health and rabies certification, while six percent carry pet passports or another form of animal travel ID.
Catwalk-worthy looks: seven percent pack pet-wear and outfits.
Top Ten Properties in the U.S. that Allow Pets1:
1. The Reynolds Mansion, Asheville, North Carolina – Average Nightly Rate: $155+ Built in 1847, this 2012 TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice award-winning property welcomes dogs in a number of suites in both the Carriage House and Cottage, located outside the main mansion house, for a $25 nightly fee. One TripAdvisor traveler noted, "The meals are gourmet, the property is charming and the master of the house makes you feel like family."
2. Stony Point Bed & Breakfast, Tyrone, Pennsylvania – Average Nightly Rate: $81+ Situated on seven acres of land, this property was built by craftsmen of the Pennsylvania Railroad in the 1920s – and for a $25 nightly fee, pets are welcome to join their owners at this historical mansion. A TripAdvisor traveler said, "Stony Point is a home away from home and it makes you feel special the moment you enter the driveway!"
3. Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn, Montgomery Center, Vermont – Average Nightly Rate: $121+ Nestled in New England's Green Mountains, this inn accommodates dogs free of charge in six suites situated outside of the main inn. One TripAdvisor traveler commented, "They really thought of everything, including pampering our beloved Corgis with homemade dog biscuits with their names on them, bedding, and toys."
4. Applewood Manor Inn Bed & Breakfast, Asheville, North Carolina – Average Nightly Rate: $145+ Situated three miles from the grand Biltmore Estate, four-legged friends are welcome to enjoy a getaway in Cortland Cottage, located just beyond the property's main manor house, for a nightly fee of $10 - $35. One TripAdvisor traveler commented, "We thoroughly enjoyed the Cortland Cottage with our dog. We had a luxuriously large room with a comfy king bed."
5. At Journey's End Bed and Breakfast, St. Augustine, Florida – Average Nightly Rate: $129+ Travelers and their dogs seeking sun and sand can stay in this 2012 TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice award-winning property's Key West Suite, for a nightly fee of $50. One TripAdvisor traveler commented, "This B&B is in a great location, walking distance from everything, but it's isolated on a quiet street away from all the tourists and noise."
6. Biltmore Village Inn, Asheville, North Carolina – Average Nightly Rate: $220+ For a nightly fee of $25, dogs are welcome in two pet-friendly rooms at this restored 1892 Queen Anne Victorian – and TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice award-winning – property. A TripAdvisor traveler said, "This inn had a beautiful cottage out back that dogs could stay in."
7. The Ruby of Crested Butte - A Luxury B&B, Crested Butte, Colorado – Average Nightly Rate: $199+ Travelers' four-legged friends will receive a warm welcome at this B&B in southwest Colorado, which collects a voluntary donation of $10 per dog per night – with all proceeds going to the local animal shelter. One TripAdvisor traveler remarked, "The Ruby offered gracious hosts, amazing food, beautiful rooms/property, and was remarkably dog friendly (cookies for people and dogs)."
8. Cliffside Inn, Newport, Rhode Island – Average Nightly Rate: $395+ Dogs weighing less than 30 pounds can enjoy a comfortable stay at this coastal inn's adjacent Seaview Cottage, which features three pet-friendly suites, for a $50 pet fee per visit. "The Inn was elegant yet comfortable, with warmly gracious hosts and staff," commented a TripAdvisor traveler.
9. Roughley Manor, Twentynine Palms, California – Average Nightly Rate: $135+ Located just minutes from Joshua Tree National Park, this B&B features four pet-friendly rooms among its accommodations and a secluded 25-acre setting, offering a peaceful retreat for guests and their furry friends at no additional cost. A TripAdvisor traveler said, "The rooms are beautiful, the staff is friendly and helpful, the owners are warm and welcoming, and Sammy the resident dog is adorable."
10. Eureka Sunset, Eureka Springs, Arkansas – Average Nightly Rate: $85+ Nestled on six wooded acres in northwest Arkansas' Ozark Mountains, this property features a number of cozy pet-friendly cabins, with a $25 pet fee per stay. One TripAdvisor traveler commented, "Our dogs had a great time too! I cannot stress enough how much we enjoyed our stay."
1The list was based on the most highly rated properties, according to TripAdvisor reviews as of July 30 2012, that have stated in their listings on TripAdvisor that they allow pets.
About TripAdvisor TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site,* enabling travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 56 million unique monthly visitors*, and over 75 million reviews and opinions. The sites operate in 30 countries worldwide, including China under daodao.com. TripAdvisor also includes TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to millions of monthly TripAdvisor visitors.